Discover magic massages in video
You can see all the moves here, filmed step by step. The moves are simple and fun.
In keeping with our recommendations, anyone with the child's consent can perform the massage: parents, obviously, but also grandparents, siblings, etc…
And you'll often see the child themselves replicating these moves on their parents!
CLICK ON THE ICONS BELOW TO SELECT ONE OR MORE PARTS OF THE BODY TO MASSAGE.
TAKE A LOOK AT THE PRECAUTIONS AND HOW TO PREPARE BEFORE YOU START, SO YOU CAN PERFORM THESE MASSAGES WITH COMPLETE PEACE OF MIND.
Find out more about massages
THE BENEFITS OF MASSAGE
Do YOU KNOW WHY A LITTLE KISS OR RUB IF YOU HIT YOUR HEAD REALLY SOFTENS THE PAIN?
It is all about the gate control theory of pain. In effect, this theory states that there is a kind of gateway, located on the pathway that pain travels along the spinal cord, which regulates the entry of pain (hence the name).
For example, when we bump into something and then rub it, we exert a slight pressure that creates a new nerve message, the ‘touch message’, which is faster than the pain message.
This wonderful mechanism also plays a role during massage, where touch somehow takes precedence over pain 1.
Massages are not only about pain relief, but also provide comfort and relaxation, reducing children’s (and parents’) anxiety.
Diminished nausea, stress, improvement in heart rate and respiratory rate...
Many studies show that massages improve the quality of life and the physical and emotional state of children undergoing treatment.
Since they are good for interaction and communication, they also help strengthen bonds and offer a moment of well-being with your child, outside of care, just between the two of you.
You can also use it to divert your child’s attention during care and help them relax.
In short, there are many good reasons to enjoy this beautiful time with your child.
WHO DESIGNED THESE MASSAGES?
A group of seven passionate and committed experts have helped the La Roche-Posay Foundation set up this project.
They have designed these massages based on nursery rhymes: ‘The Carrot Patch’, ’The Ant Colony’, ’The Big Feather’, ’The Heart in the Hand’ ...
- Marie Thérain:Specialist in Psychomotor Skills, Hospital Armand Trousseau, Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris.
- Isabelle Landault:Nurse, Paediatric Nurse, Mantes-la-Jolie Hospital Lise Vigneau: Physiotherapist, Armand Trousseau Hospital, Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris.
- Valérie Petit-Jeuffroy:Dance teacher
- Élodie Desmoulins:Nurse, Paediatric Nurse, CHU Toulouse Gwenaëlle de la Marque IDE, CHU Toulouse.
- Aurélie Delabre:Beautician, IHOPe Lyon.
THE FOUNDATION’S COMMITTEE OF EXPERTS
- Dr Dominique Valteau-Couanet:Child Oncologist, Head of the Department of Child and Adolescent Oncology, Gustave-Roussy, President of the Scientific Council of the SFCE (French Association for the Fight against Child and Adolescent Cancer and Leukaemia).
- Dr Étienne Seigneur:Child Psychiatrist, Psycho-Oncology Unit & SIREDO Oncology Centre Care Innovation Research, Childhood, Adolescent and Young Adult Cancers, the Curie Institute, Treasurer of the SFFPO (French-speaking association for psycho-oncology)
- Prof. Ivan Krakowski:Medical Oncologist, Pain Physician, President of the AFSOS (French Association for Oncological Care)
- Marie Thérain:Specialist in Psychomotor Medicine, Department of Paediatric Haematology and Oncology, Armand Trousseau Hospital, Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris.
- Catherine Vergely:Secretary-General of UNAPECLE (French national union of associations for parents of children with cancer or leukaemia)
MARCEL & JOACHIM
AND THE ARTIST INGELA
Thank you and congratulations to publisher Marcel & Joachim and to brilliant designer Ingela P. Arrhenius, whose passion and creativity made this project possible!
Marcel & Joachim creates books for children every day and beauty for everyone. Because a child, as soon as it is born, needs beauty, and so do you. Our dream is to give children joy, and a touch of mischief.
Discover them here: www.marceletjoachim.fr
This approach has received the support of multiple partner institutions: